Rhode Island School of Design is seeking a Multilingual Learning Specialist to join its Center for Arts & Language (A&L). The Multilingual Learning Specialist is a language teaching professional based in one of RISD's academic support offices, and primarily serves RISD's international and multilingual student body. A&L supports students in developing linguistic skills and efficacy through peer tutoring in written, spoken, and visual communication; advising for multilingual learners and student publishing, and a range of workshops and online resources. A&L offers a community where all forms of language are welcome as expressing ideas empowers artists and designers to tell their own stories and make significant contributions to scholarly, community, and public discourse.
The Multilingual Learning Specialist provides academic and English-language support, instruction, and advising for RISD’s multilingual learners through design and delivery of one-to-one tutoring in writing, speaking, and reading; co-curricular workshop series; and online resources such as topical handouts and sequential learning modules. This position supports wider institutional needs and goals, including conducting English-language level assessment of applicants and students and collecting and analyzing comparative data on multilingual students’ learning in relation to various pathways of support. The person in this position is part of a team of professional staff and tutors in the Center for Arts & Language (A&L) who work toward RISD’s strategic plan objective to “build the capacity of our learning support systems to meet existing and emerging needs, including multilingual learning, peer tutoring, and professional support for writing practices across the curriculum.” Together with the Associate Director, the specialist serves as an informed, critical, and asset-oriented advocate for cultural and linguistic diversity, actively sharing expertise with community members, including A&L tutors and faculty, to promote a deeper understanding and practice of teaching and learning in a multilingual educational community.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment, and a competitive benefits package.
- Provide instruction in rhetorical and mechanical academic literacy skills to undergraduate and graduate students in tutoring sessions.
- Provide ongoing instruction and advising for selected students requiring ongoing support, with a focus on goal-setting, skill development, learning outcomes, and accountability.
- Lead co-curricular and in-class workshops for students on a variety of topics pertaining to academic skills, art, and design language, and conversational English throughout the academic year.
- Conduct English-language proficiency assessment as needed, including in partnership with Admissions, for select graduate program applicants, as well as occasional assessment of matriculated student levels.
- Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data on multilingual student learning.
- In support of holistic peer tutor education program, develop materials and provide training and consulting for Arts & Language peer tutors in support of their tutoring multilingual students.
- Conduct outreach, including classroom visits and orientation presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Certification in TESOL or Masters in TESOL, linguistics, bilingual education, or a relevant discipline, and/or at least 3 years of experience teaching English at the college level
- Experience teaching and/or advising multilingual students as an instructor or in a writing center or advising office in higher education
- Formal language assessment training and/or certification
- Fluency in college-level academic writing and rhetoric expectations
- Familiarity with intercultural competence and language justice in higher education
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to work, collaborate, and communicate effectively within a diverse multicultural and inclusive setting
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Experience living and working internationally
- Knowledge of art and design practice, education, history, theory, and vocabulary
- Familiarity with multiple Liberal Arts disciplines
- Experience collecting and analyzing data in an educational setting
TO LEARN MORE AND APPLY, PLEASE VISIT:
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.