Position: English Language Learning Teacher (ELL Teacher)
Company: Amerigo Education
Location: Location Specific
TYPE: Permanent, Full-Time
Amerigo Education is a U.S.-based education company that helps international students in the United States achieve their full potential. As a growing number of students from around the world seek to advance their education in American high schools, Amerigo is setting a new standard in educating international students by combining the established practices of nurturing, supportive environments from traditional American boarding schools with innovative approaches to language development and college guidance.
Backed by Sterling Partners, Amerigo forms strategic partnerships with private day schools in the United States to provide a seamless academic experience for our students. Through the Amerigo model, we collaborate with our partner schools as they provide the core preparatory high-school curriculum while our team on-the-ground delivers a suite of academic, language, and cultural immersion programs in a well-staffed residential environment based in our local boarding campus. Amerigo seeks partners that our aligned in our mission to energize American educational communities through the diversity of students from around the world.
The English Language Learning Teacher (ELLT) manages English language development to diverse international students living in a dormitory environment and attending a local private school. Reporting into the English Language Learning Coordinator (ELLC), the ELLT works Amerigo staff and the partner school to develop and implement a supplemental ELL program that promotes student achievement, accelerates acculturation into American culture, and offers a high level of individualized ELL teaching. The ELLT teaches one or more sections of an ELL course in the high school in addition to delivering and managing specific programs that take place within the dormitory environment. In addition, the ELLT offer some English after-school support at the partner school campus.
- Establishes and maintains an appropriate plan of ELL instruction for all students under the direction of ELLC
- Instructs Academic Reading and Composition (ARC) courses at local partner school(s)
- Establishes, assesses, and monitors student learning goals
- Administers English language proficiency assessments throughout the year to monitor progress as directed
- Keeps records for student profiles, including ongoing student writing portfolios
- Develops a clear system of instructional interventions to share with partner school staff should students plateau in language acquisition
- Creates appropriate learning environment: stimulating, active, safe, respectful, project-based
- Involves students as a resource in planning, peer assistance, school operations and service
- Helps students use a variety of technology strategies to support their learning and ensures students are proficient in navigating the systems of partner schools
- Oversees, reviews, and communicates progress toward goals with Amerigo on a regular basis under direction of ELLC
- Suggests intervention strategies and enacts other intervention strategies as directed by the ELLC
- Is available for proficiency interventions during evening academic study hours according to agreed upon schedule
- Enacts appropriate writing support for English and other classes as directed by ELLC
- ELL Teacher may have opportunities to accompany students on acculturation trips or vacation activities
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, energetic leader with a love of working with
adolescents from different cultures and with different learning styles. This person will be organized and have excellent written and oral communication skills. This person must be resilient and reliable while demonstrating an ability to build a strong community culture within a global environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in TESOL, education, or other related discipline.
- Willingness to work evenings and some weekends.
- International, multi-cultural exposure, experience working with English as a Second Language students, classroom management training a plus.
- Working knowledge of one other language would be beneficial due to the nature of the work. Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Spanish, Russian, or Portuguese language abilities preferred.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com