Senior Manager, Advocacy and Public Policy
Position Title: Senior Manager, Advocacy and Public Policy
Supervisor: Executive Director
Department: Executive office
Position Summary: The Senior Manager of Advocacy and Public Policy works to advance the advocacy agenda for the association. This includes research and analysis on TESOL policy issues, development of policy materials, and coordination of policy-related activities. In addition, the Senior Manager contributes to TESOL’s communications strategy.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Stay abreast of current issues and events and coordinate with the Executive Director to identify, prioritize, and implement TESOL’s U.S. and international policy strategies, initiatives, and campaigns.
- Track, analyze, and conduct research on legislation and issues related to TESOL’s policy work (i.e., education and U.S./international language policy), immigration, and education reform.
- Draft policy letters and comments on rules, regulations, and proposed legislation, and coordinate joint letters and sign-ons with partner organizations.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director to lead and develop outreach strategy on policy issues, including the dissemination of policy resources, attendance at meetings and briefings, and collaboration with TESOL Affiliates and partners.
- Develop and maintain policy content on the TESOL web site and related online media, including the management of the TESOL Advocacy and Public Policy e-group.
Advocacy Training and Events
- Coordinate, develop, and implement the annual TESOL Advocacy & Policy Summit, including the scheduling of speakers, management of attendee and presenter logistics, and creation of program materials.
- Manage invited public policy speakers at annual TESOL International Convention, including overseeing the logistics and scheduling of sessions, and developing advocacy and policy sessions to present on behalf of TESOL.
- Manage the TESOL Advocacy Action Center, including the creation of new campaigns, tracking of advocate actions, and follow-up on constituent meetings that are logged.
- Implement and expand the TESOL Advocacy Workshop program.
- Write, prepare, and disseminate press releases and news-related content on TESOL’s website, news wire service, and social media outlets.
- Develop written materials as appropriate, such as policy briefs, issue briefs, policy memos, position statements, articles, resource kits, and advocacy tools for U.S. and international members and policy makers.
- Other duties as assigned
Education, skills, and experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in public policy or public administration. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years of work experience and demonstrated success in government relations, public policy, communications, or related area that involved policy research.
- Exceptional communications skills, including professional writing, editing, and verbal skills for a variety of external audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to identify and handle priorities quickly and effectively, and balance long term and short-term deadlines while keeping pace with daily operations.
- Excellent research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Technical experience, including working with a website content management system, email distribution system, social media, and grassroots advocacy software or other related tools.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
- Working knowledge of the issues impacting education.
- Work experience in an association or other non-profit organization preferred.
TESOL International Association is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within the organization and the field. Qualified candidates from underrepresented groups are invited to submit an application.