Senior Commissioning Editor (Pre-Primary and Primary, American English)
The role of a Senior Commissioning Editor is to take responsibility for project(s) as specified within the publishing plan by identifying projects with a view to commissioning and developing appropriate, profitable and quality ELT content (print or digital) as specified. The Senior Commissioning Editor will also input into the strategy for a particular segment in the Schools publishing plan, and ensure that projects are planned and resourced adequately.
The role involves commissioning authors and contributors and working closely with overseas markets, and the in-house or freelance project team to develop quality material that meets the needs of the key markets and is produced on schedule and within budget. A Senior Commissioning Editor will also have area(s) of special responsibility, such as training, market research, process improvements, mentoring, digital focus, financial focus, backlist management, best practices amongst others. These will be assigned in line with business requirements.
Collaboration with the Publisher, as well as Product, Operations, Sales and Marketing, and Production stakeholders is vital in ensuring the publishing meets the needs of the key audience and is aligned with pre-press investment.
Experience, skills and qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent and formal ELT/TEFL qualification
- At least 3 years English language teaching experience
- Demonstrable ELT publishing experience at project leadership level
- Proven track record of successful ELT/EFL product development
- Knowledge of ELT markets and Primary segment
- Demonstrable, market-focused ELT publishing experience at project leadership level and a proven track record of successful product development
- Awareness of publishing processes and how they impact manuscript development
- Experience of working with a range of new media and a good understanding of publishing technologies
- A working understanding of content management systems
- Appreciation for a wide international range of teaching and learning situations
- Adequate financial knowledge to understand and manage a project P&L
- Excellent organization skills and an ability to work to tight deadlines
- Line management experience and management experience of cross-functional teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with others
- English language teaching experience, preferably in the Primary segment
- Excellent written English
- Knowledge of a second language is desirable
This is an exciting opportunity for a proactive and results focused individual to be part of our publishing team. We value character as well as skills – people with a passion to be the best they can be and the desire to make our company bigger, better and more exciting. It’s the people who make Macmillan Education so successful, so why not join us?