Main responsibilities are to support the Academic Lead (AL) in all aspects of academic provision. Including ELT course design and implementation and providing continued academic support and guidance to EPLC students. You will also assist the AL with the recruitment of academic staff. The following section outlines a more detailed, description of the duties of this post.
- Providing support and assistance to teaching staff on a range of different teaching strategies and effective classroom management strategies to meet the needs of a large range of learning styles.
- Providing continued academic support and guidance to students including tutorials; ensures the tutorials take place and are followed through by their teacher in a systematic way; offering every support to the student in his/her academic aims. Ensures that feedback from the tutorial sessions are disseminated to all relevant parties in a timely manner.
- Coordinates placement, progress and exit testing.Assisting with planning, preparing and delivering induction sessions
- Support other departments as needed e.g. cooperate with the sales team etc., represent and promote the department favourably at every opportunity as directed.
- Oversees Library and Computer Suite: offering provision of digital and physical self-study materials to students after class. Develops self-access materials including reference materials, library books and offers advice on using materials to improve students' English language.
- Resources development: ordering materials which are appropriate to the teachers' and students' needs on year-round courses as directed by the AL. Meet publishing representatives as necessary.
- Liaises with Exams centres to help co-ordinate examination entries and certificates.
- Liaises with Accommodation staff and other Administrative staff on students' pastoral care, where necessary.
- Deputises for the Academic Lead in her absence as necessary.
- Attends conferences and training days, mutually agreed upon with the Academic Lead
- Meets with ad hoc walk-in enquiries/prospective students.
- Regularly check that classrooms have sufficient furniture, displays, heating equipment and all technology is working.
- Ensures teachers are up to date with administrative procedures including registers and progress reports. Ensures teachers produce weekly schemes of work (SOW) and that these are filed and referred to systematically to avoid repetition of work.
- Arranges teaching cover when teachers are absent from work; ensuring that teachers have instructions available on what is to be taught in their absence using the Scheme of Work. Briefs the cover teacher accurately to ensure students have continuity of class content.
- Carries out classroom teaching when required, according to number of enrolments at the School and projects being undertaken.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Eligibility to live and work in in the UK
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergo an Enhanced DBS disclosure check or overseas equivalent
- Outstanding communication and English language skills, both verbal and written
- Experience of delivering presentations confidently and effectively desirable
- Previous experience of material design for ELT courses
- TEFL-Q qualification DELTA, DipTESOL or equivalent
- Experience of teaching ESOL, EAP, Exam preparation courses and on in-sessional/pre-sessional programmes
- Excellent IT skills, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to communicate effectively and accurately via email and telephone
- Experience of establishing and maintaining effective academic administration systems and procedures.
- A thorough and meticulous approach to work
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills with the ability to prioritise a varied workload and work to deadlines under pressure.
- Good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to implement new developments, procedures and courses
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff.
- Have a positive and proactive attitude to work and demonstrate high levels of professionalism.
- A drive to work collaboratively with fun, likeminded people and contribute to team success
- To be constantly aware of improving standards and adapt to them where possible
- Knowledge of current UK employment law and Disclosure and Barring Service desirable
- Previous exposure to a HR/Recruitment Environment desirable
- Proven ability to effectively use database systems desirable