Language Lecturer in EAP
Institution: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Department: English Language Centre
Position Title: Language Lecturer in EAP (Associate Language Lecturer, Language Lecturer, Senior Language Lecturer)
Location: Suzhou, China
Salary: 17,615-31,993 RMB/month before tax (with the opportunity to earn above 35,588 RMB/month for those promoted to Principal Language Lecturer based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for 103 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and more than 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities.
English Language Centre
At XJTLU, the English Language Centre (ELC) is part of the School of Languages (SoL) with its sister centre, the Modern Languages Centre (MLC), and together we are committed to training multilingual graduates with superb academic and intercultural skills who will often move into transnational careers in an age shaped by the Fourth Industrial Revolution. ELC is a growing centre with a full-time staff exceeding 210 lecturers coming from a range of backgrounds, countries, and cultures. We are involved in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for all of Year 1, a cohort of over 5000 students the majority of whom are enrolled in our Core EAP stream oriented to CEFR A2-B1 language proficiency students. In addition, we teach EAP in Years 2 and 3 as well as have a growing and vibrant Postgraduate EAP programme of more than 2000 students, ranging from pre-master’s-oriented pre-sessionals to mock vivas and thesis writing boot camps for PhD students. All students in the university can also take advantage of our comprehensive continuous academic support programme. ELC is especially proud to be the first institution outside the UK to be accredited by BALEAP.
ELC staff enable and empower our students through expert and semi-specialised language and skills training. They develop multiple academic literacies that bring degree study success and so are held in high esteem. Career development support and possibilities for EAP practitioners and scholars are excellent, not least because we are in a phase of exciting renewal and growth both as an institution and as a centre. Our future new campus at Taicang, and our new Learning Mall onsite-online ecosystem, are both emblematic of ongoing institutional developments.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
ELC has several openings for Associate Language Lecturer, Language Lecturer and Senior Language Lecturer for suitably experienced, creative, and inspiring EAP teachers, and you are encouraged to apply for a position according to your education, qualifications, and experience. We will appoint at Associate Language Lecturer, Lecturer, Senior Language Lecturer as appropriate.
ELC at XJTLU is a teaching centre and the workload of Lecturers in EAP is shared between teaching, professional engagement, and service. Generally, teaching may be up to 20 hours per week, which might include the summer period.
- have a good standard of written and spoken English, as this is the working language of the university
- possess a Master’s of TESOL with practical teaching component or a good class of a relevant master’s degree (e.g. Applied Linguistics, Education) in addition to a language teaching qualification (e.g. DELTA or equivalent – please indicate the modules completed, CELTA, TESOL/TESL/TEFL, or PGCE + TESOL)
- other master’s degrees may be considered if it can be demonstrated you possess significant and sustained experience teaching EAP/ESP/ESOL/EFL/ESL, especially in a higher education context
- have minimum 2 years’ full-time post-master’s experience of teaching, assessing and/or developing materials for English for Academic Purposes courses within a higher education i.e. university or college context (e.g. on a foundation year level)
- be or working toward a Fellow or Senior Fellow, HEA
- can demonstrate a dynamic, current, and innovative engagement in one or more of the following areas:
- Technology Enhanced Language Learning (especially pedagogical uses of VR/AR/MR/AI/mobiles)
- Content and Language Integrated Learning
- All specialisms in EAP including: writing centre development and the provision of online and other forms of student engagement and academic support; communicative and task-based methodologies; syllabus and materials design; skills-oriented assessment; problem-based language learning [preferably with emotional intelligence development embedded]; the promotion of learner autonomy; self-access and self-diagnostic language learning
Salary is commensurate with education, qualifications, and work experience. Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at XJTLU is regulated by Chinese labour laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with respect to obtaining work permits and visas.
Please submit your application online at https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/about/jobs-and-careers/ (search requisition 1750). *A cover letter need not be uploaded separately as the system might request. However, in the resume section of our website, applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter (in your letter, please tell us where you saw the ad TESOL03-21)
- A current CV
- Three reference letters, including one from your current employer (if possible). If you cannot provide letters at the time of application, then please include the name/title/email/phone details for three references
Please email informal inquiries about the job to email@example.com attention Dan Cornish.
If you have any difficulties applying online, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: March 13, 2021
Closing: review of applications continues until all positions filled