Bilkent University Faculty Academic English Program: Instructor of EAP/ESP Position
Bilkent University School of English Language
Teach English in Ankara, Turkey
Career-enhancing opportunity for experienced instructors ideally with a DELTA and or MA in TESOL, TEFL, TESL, Applied Linguistics or related field (opportunity to earn in-house Certificate in Teaching EAP on scholarship) to teach credit bearing EAP/ESP courses:
- Instructor of EAP/ESP
Bilkent University School of English Language (BUSEL) through its Faculty Academic English Program (FAE), which offers credit bearing English language courses for academic (EAP) and professional purposes to students starting in their freshman year, dedicates itself to support the further development of Bilkent students’ English language and study skills through their time in the university. It helps them develop their potential as critical, analytical, and autonomous learners as part of a commitment to whole-person learning. The school also helps students successfully adapt to university life, cope with the demands of academic study, and provides them with tools to embark on a fulfilling and successful life after university.
FAE program is actively involved in the university’s GE 100 University Orientation program for all incoming students at the beginning of each academic year by offering sessions on various topics ranging from ‘Ways of Thinking’ to ‘Would you like to learn more about your brain?’, ‘Asking the right question’, ‘Autonomous learning’, ‘Note-taking’. Program also runs university’s writing center Bilwrite, which offers one-one-one counselling to students who need help and feedback on their writing.
The school is also committed to provide its staff with a professional place to work. It offers opportunities for personal and professional learning and development, encouraging an open and enquiring culture to support institutional learning. BUSEL has organized 15 international conferences, in the areas such as English Language Teaching, Teaching English for Academic Purposes, Language Assessment, School Management, Teacher Training and Development for the last more than 20 years. Some of these conferences were jointly held with IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English), its various SIGS (Special Interest Groups), and with BALEAP (Global Association of EAP Professionals). BUSEL has been a member of IATEFL for the last 25 and of BALEAP for the last 8 years.
BUSEL has also been offering its CTEAP (BUSEL Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes) in-service training program for more than 10 years. CTEAP is a professional development program designed for instructors who wish to develop their knowledge and skills in dealing with the complexities of teaching English for Academic Purposes in a university context. The course is open to all English language instructors in Bilkent, but is particularly geared towards the needs of those working in the FAE program. It provides the opportunity to learn more about the profession as EAP practitioners and to explore in depth issues related to teaching and learning in an EAP context.
BUSEL is a learning institution that constantly evaluates and renews itself to better accommodate the changing needs of its students.
We offer you the opportunity to work as a university instructor, teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or English for Specific Purposes (EAP) courses in a university ranked 37th in the Times Higher Education BRICS and Emerging Economies University Ranking 2017 and 54th in the inaugural Times Higher Education Asia Universities Rankings 2018.
The attractive employment package is as below:
- An initial two-year, renewable contract
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, quoted in US Dollars and Turkish Liras, paid locally
- Membership of a vibrant University community of international and local staff
- Fully-furnished, rent-free private accommodation on campus (a fee is charged for utilities)
- Access to high speed internet/wifi both in academic and accommodation buildings
- School laptop
- Air fare and baggage allowance at the beginning and end of contract
- Residence permit, work visa, and airport transfer
- Private and state medical insurance
- On campus Turkish language courses
- University gym and swimming pool membership
- Monthly lunch allowance (electronic cards)
- Opportunities to live and travel in an exciting and diverse culture, one of the cradles of civilization
Training and Development
- An induction program at the beginning of the year, with continued support throughout the year
- An in-service Cambridge English Diploma in English language Teaching to Adults (DELTA) and/or CTEAP (BUSEL Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes) on scholarship
- A top-notch library and electronic resources to support learning and career development
Applicants are required to submit a fully-completed application form, which can be accessed at http://busel.bilkent.edu.tr/?page_id=458
Forms should be sent to email@example.com together with a recent photo in JPEG format.
- The BUSEL recruitment team reviews all applications, and only shortlisted candidates are contracted.
- Interviews with shortlisted candidates are held over Skype or in person (if possible).
Instructor of EAP/ESP Position Minimum Requirements
- University degree and minimum of four years of full-time EFL/EAP experience, OR
- University degree and two years of full-time EFL/EAP experience with a Cambridge English certificate, or an internationally-recognized TEFL/TESOL certificate
A relevant graduate degree and teaching experience at the university level would be a distinct advantage.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D in TEFL/TESOL/Education/English/Rhetoric and composition
- Minimum of 2 years relevant teaching experience at university level
Those who also have experience in content-based instruction, course design and delivery will also have a distinct advantage.
Successful applicants for the position are expected to use an interactive teaching style that promotes critical thinking
Apply for Bilkent University Faculty Academic English Program: Instructor of EAP/ESP Position
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly