International Faculty; Department of English; English Composition and Global Business English
Ongoing recruitment for full-time Instructors of English (Composition and Global Business English) on annual international assignment for Fort Hays State University (FHSU) stationed at Shenyang Normal University (http://www.synu.edu.cn/mainm.htm) in Liaoning Province, China, or at Zhengzhou Sias University (https://en.sias.edu.cn/) in Henan Province, China, with opportunity for annual renewal.
Each faculty position in China is an annual assignment as a non-tenure-track instructor, subject to annual review, with the possibility of continuation. Continuation provides $1,000 added to base salary every year as part of an annual retention plan, up to seven years.
- Master’s degree in English, TEFL, Linguistics, or Applied Linguistics; MFA in Writing, from a regionally accredited university.
- Must be able to provide proof of a minimum of 24 months full-time teaching experience.
- Successful candidates must be eligible to legally work in the United States and also be able to apply for and receive a Z visa, residence permit, and work permit in China.
- Candidates must meet employment regulations to work legally in China with a Chinese work visa, which has age restrictions (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigners over the age of 60 except in extraordinary circumstances), background check restrictions (applicants with DUI/DWI or other such infractions are not being issued a work permit), various health history requirements, and education authentication (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigner applicants unable to provide authentications and proof of educational backgrounds).
FHSU will outline these processes, as well as assist in acquiring and paying for these documents.
- PhD in English, TESOL, TEFL, Linguistics, or Applied Linguistics from a regionally-accredited university, CELTA/ DELTA (or equivalent certification)
- One to three years’ experience in teaching college composition and/or ESL/EFL writing is preferred.
- Familiarity with teaching ESL/EFL students, international students, especially Chinese students; prior experience working abroad
- Strong teaching, communication, and cross-cultural skills.
- Practiced use of Learning Management Systems (Blackboard preferred)