Teacher, SY 2021-22 - Dual Language, ESL/ELL, World Language Positions
We are looking for highly motivated and skilled ESL and ELL educators to join our team at District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). We seek individuals who are passionate about transforming the DC school system and making a significant difference in the lives of public school students, parents, and the larger community.
DCPS serves over 51,000 students in the nation's capital through the efforts of approximately 4,000 educators in 117 schools. As part of a comprehensive reform effort to become the preeminent urban school system in America, DCPS intends to have the highest-performing, best paid, most satisfied, and most honored educator force in the nation and a distinctive central office staff whose work supports and drives instructional excellence and significant achievement gains for DCPS students.
• DC Public Schools is a district on the rise - Enrollment numbers are increasing, graduation rates are up, and we have led the nation in math and reading improvements, earning DCPS the title of fastest improving urban public school district in the country!
• Our nationally competitive compensation rates - In addition to a solid base salary, DCPS teachers are eligible for bonuses of up to $25,000 each year. In just 4 years in the district, it is possible to earn six figures at DCPS! Additionally, new ESL teachers are eligible to receive a signing bonuses of up to $2,500 if they commit to teaching in one of our 1- or 2-STAR schools.
• Our innovative approach to professional development - In place of the traditional school-based and district-wide professional development in favor of weekly, content-specific professional learning communities that are led by subject matter experts at your school.
• Advancement and leadership opportunities for teachers - Through LIFT, a five-stage career ladder, teachers are eligible for leadership positions, policy fellowships, and new professional learning opportunities, all without having to leave the classroom.
• A focus on student satisfaction and engagement - Whether through our Family Engagement work, Empowering Males of Color initiative or DCPS Study Abroad Program, we are committed to providing transformative experiences for our students.
Every student feels loved, challenged, and prepared to positively influence and thrive in life.
Ensure that every school guarantees students reach their full potential through rigorous and joyful learning experiences provided in a nurturing environment.
Promote Equity: Define, understand, and promote equity so that we can eliminate gaps and systematically interrupt institutional bias.
Empower Our People: Recruit, develop, and retain a talented, caring, and diverse team.
Ensure Excellent Schools: Increase the number of excellent schools throughout the city.
Educate the Whole Child: Provide rigorous, joyful, and inclusive academic and social emotional learning experiences to ensure all students are college and career ready.
This position is a safety-sensitive position. As a result, throughout employment this position will be subject to the Employee Mandatory Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy.
The Teacher (10-month) will report to the Principal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
• Sets and reinforces clear expectations and routines that are aligned with the school’s overall vision. Develops and implements curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
• Thoughtfully plans daily lessons and implements specific strategies to meet the needs of all students, providing extra support, enrichment, or variation of work when necessary.
• Demonstrates strong content knowledge.
• Designs and implements assessments that measure progress towards academic standards and diagnoses areas of student misunderstanding.
• Uses assessment data to refine curriculum and informs instructional practices.
• Be accountable for students’ academic growth and increase each individual student’s achievement. Creates a positive, achievement-oriented learning environment.
• Reflects on successes and areas of growth as a teacher, seeks to improve performance, and responds to feedback. Participates in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school- wide functions.
• Invests parents and families in their children’s academic success through regular communication.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
• Possesses or is eligible for a valid District of Columbia Teaching License issued by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).
• Successful completion of Praxis I and II exams (unless already holding a standard teaching license).
• Strong instructional skills and classroom management.
• Enthusiasm for and demonstrated mastery of subject matter.
• Unrelenting commitment to students, self, and school’s constant learning and development.
• Ability to self-reflect on teaching practices and be responsive to feedback.
Apply today at bit.ly/DCPSTeacherApp21. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis; however, we encourage candidates to apply as early as possible to receive priority consideration.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: $56,313.00 - $90,905.00 per year
DCPS is committed to ensuring a safe return to learning for every student. As we prepare for reopening, the health, safety, and well-being of our staff, students, and families is top of mind.